Red Alert for Health Centers
On Tuesday February 6, hundreds of advocates will be in DC meeting with Congress and demanding a fix to the Health Center Funding Cliff. On that day, we are calling on all Health Center Advocates to wear red in support of health centers.
Over four months ago, Congress failed to extend funding for Health Centers and fix a 70% funding cliff. This failure to act has put 9 million patients, 50,000 jobs, and nearly 3,000 health center sites at risk. The time is now for Congress to act and extend critical funding for health centers. Read the latest on the health center funding cliff on NACHC’s blog.
What can you do on 2/6 to add your voice to the millions of patients, staff, partners and supporters that depend on health centers?
- Join the #RedAlert4CHCs Thunderclap. By joining the Thunderclap, you and others will share the same message at the same time, spreading a call to action through Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr that cannot be ignored.
- Use local media to spread the word. Access templates to share a media advisory or press release or publish an op-ed to share your health center's plans for the Day of Demonstration.
- Wear red! Don’t have a red shirt? Wear a red scarf, pin, hat, or other accessory.
- Ask your friends, partners, colleagues and others to wear red too. Email them here so they know how critical this act of demonstration is.
- Post to social media. Get a group together to take a photo with this sign (click here for PDF version), and Tweet or post to Facebook with #RedAlert4CHCs #FixTheCliff #ValueCHCs. Sample Tweets are below along with images you can share.
REMINDER: Don't forget to tag your Members of Congress. This is important! Click here for instructions on tagging legislators. You can find your elected official here. For Facebook, just type "@" and then start typing their name.
#RedAlert4CHCs we are out of time! [@legislator] #FixtheCliff immediately! 27 million patients and tens of thousands of HC staff are counting on your action! Lives and jobs are at stake!
.[@legislator], HC patients and staff can't wait any longer - we are in a state of #RedAlert4CHCs. Act immediately to #FixtheCliff - we are counting on you! Lives and jobs are at stake!
.[@legislator], 27 million HC patients have been waiting since October for action to #FixtheCliff - we can't wait any longer! #RedAlert4CHCs - act immediately to restore HC funding - enough is enough!
- Place these fliers (in Spanish and English) around the community, and pass them out in health center waiting rooms to patients. Make sure they know why you wear red.
- Organize a press event, and/or submit an Op-Ed – templates coming soon.
- Host a rally. Print signs, make posters, and get a group together, wearing red, to chant “There’s too much at stake, Congress, fix the cliff for health centers now!”. Take a video and post online.
While Congress delays, what’s at stake?
- Robust backbone of the American health care system
- Health care Americans can afford
- Patient-centered care that offers the full range of services folks need – primary care, social support, behavioral health care, dental care, pharmacy, and health education.
- Emergency preparedness and relief efforts to sustain public health in areas of natural disaster.
- Comprehensive substance abuse treatment to get Americans back on their feet
- Chronic disease management to fight diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, and more
Why red? Because the time is now – funding for health centers is urgent. We wear red to protect access to quality care for millions of Americans, to sustain the backbone of primary care in this country, to ensure all Americans have an equal opportunity to live healthy and productive lives. Red is the color of urgency, passion and fire – and health center advocates will not back down.